Monday 10 November 2014

Bolu Kukus (Indonesian Steamed Cake)










Bolu Kukus reminds me of my childhood, when I made this cake together with my mum. To make this cake is quite challenging, this cake must have 3 or 4 buds on the top. I share the recipe and tips below.

BOLU KUKUS (INDONESIAN STEAMED CAKE)
Make about 12 cakes

Ingredients :
300 grams of all purpose flour
250 grams of sugar
5 egg yolks
4 egg white
1/2 tsp baking soda
175 cc of soda water
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/4 tsp red food colouring (or anything you like)

Method :
1. Prepare steamer, warm up for about 15 minutes.
2. Line bolu kukus molds (I use silicon molds) with parchment paper
3. Beat  the eggs, sugar,vanilla until thick & paste.
4. Fold in 1/3 of the flour, then 1/2 of the soda, gently mix.
5. Repeat remaining flour & soda, end with flour.
6. Mix throughly until the batter is free of lumps.
7. Divide 1/3 of the batter into small bowl. Keep the rest in original colour.
8. Add red food colouring into that bowl. Whisk until combined.
9. Spoon cream batter into mould. Swirl a little of the coloured batter.
10. Steam for 20 minutes on high heat.


Tips :
* Cover the steamer lid with a cloth to prevent any drips on the batter.
* Do not open the steamer at first fifteen minutes. No peeking, this can cause of the cake to stop rising.

I used some leftovers for my kids school lunches. Both of them had similar lunches. Details as below :



For the school lunch, I prepared :
1. Bolu Kukus
2. Corn on the cob
3. Crackers and cheese
4. Sausages
5. Broccoli and carrot sticks
6. Yogurt
7. Apple cuts for recess

No comments:

Post a Comment